In July, 1895, the Department of Marine and Fisheries called for tenders for the construction of a light and fog-alarm station at Cabot Head. The main building consisted of a wooden dwelling house and light tower combined, painted white. The fog-alarm plant was constructed on the shore below and east of the light. The lantern atop the tower contained several parabolic metallic reflectors utilizing light produced by kerosene lamps. Manufactured by the Chanteloup Company, of Montreal, this “catoptric” apparatus was fixed to a rotating frame which, driven by a clockwork mechanism, cast a beam of white light, with three flashes fifteen seconds apart, then an eclipse of forty seconds.